- 1/2 cup flax seeds (yields 4 cups of flax seed gel)
- 1/4 cup of melted shea butter
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of almond oil
- 1/4 cup of castor oil
- 2 cups of vegetable glycerin
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of emulsifying wax
- 1/2 cup of cetearyl alcohol
- 1/2 cup of cetyl alcohol
- 1/8 cup of Germaben II preservative
- 1cc citric acid
I already made a post detailing how to make hair lotion. The directions are the same and located here except in this post, I give the exact recipe.
- Boil the flax seeds to make flax seed gel. If you are unfamiliar with how to make or use flax seed gel, refer to my previous post here. Allow gel to cool to room temperature.
|Flax seed gel after cooled to room temperature|
- Melt the shea and coconut oil.
- Once the coconut and shea butter are both cooled to room temperature, combine the almond oil and castor oil.
- After the oils are combined, melt the emulsifying wax, cetyl, and cetereal alcohol. The emulsyfying wax will keep the oils and water from separating, and the cetyl and cetereal alcohols are thickeners. They are non-drying so don't let the word "alcohol" scare you.
- Combine the water, vegetable glycerin, flaxseed gel, preservative, and blend.
- Add the citric acid and test the pH.
- Finally, combine the oil mixture and the water mixture in a blender.
Where to Buy:
- Shea butter: beauty supply stores, the mall, Amazon, Ebay, etc.
- Coconut oil : Walmart, Kroger, GNC, Amazon, etc
- Flax seeds: GNC, Walmart, Kroger, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe, etc
- Germaben II: LotionCrafter.com
- Cetearyl Alcohol: Lotioncrafter.com
- Ceteyl Alcohol: Lotioncrafter.com
- Almond oil: Walmart, Kroger, GNC, Amazon, etc
- Vegetable glycerin: Amazon, Lotioncrafter.com
- Emulsifying wax: Lotioncrafter.com
Final Words: Enjoy the recipe and if you choose to share with friends, all I ask is that you credit FroEnvy and the blog.