I am laid back when hair is involved. Other parts of my life not so much, but when it comes to hair, I don't work myself into a frenzy. Unfortunately, there are things related to natural hair that I simply CANNOT STAND! These things get under my skin and make me want to pounce (much like the tiger to above). The following are not in any particular order because they all equally twist my tits:(
- Mixed Nuts. All of a sudden when these annoying people get some length to their hair, they want to claim that they are mixed. They didn't mention anything when thet had 2, 4, or even 6 inches of hair. Funny now that they are mid- back length it comes up. Granted, sometimes this stuff just doesn't come up. All I'm saying is that it wasn't a big deal back then so don't make it a big deal now.
- Not so Basic. Isn't it funny how those who do too much are frequently the most boisterous? People like this make natural hair seem high maintenance and difficult. In fact, natural hair is ridiculously simple. The biggest issue with natural hair in the past was that not many products were designed for our hair's needs and we were ignorant of better techniques. That time is over. So, no you don't need to pre- poo and deep condition for umpteen hours. No you don't have to buy every single over- priced bottle of Carol's Daughter. And, for goodness sakes, don't bore me with all things you "have" to do to make your hair manageable.
- Natural Nazis. Like much of what we do in life, hair is a choice. The best thing to come from this "Natural Hair Revolution" is that it opened up our options. Unfortunately, the worst was the resurgence of purists. I say resurgence because this idea is not new. Truth of the matter is that there will always be people with nothing better to do than being bothered by what you choose to do with your hair.
- Goddesses of the Curl. These people went natural for the curls. They thought their hair would be curly and therefore "pretty" when they went natural. When talking about hair it's ," Curl definition this...Kinky Curly that..." The way I see it, if you have curls or not, it doesn't affect me because I don't and will never have your hair.
- Oh you look like...No we don't look like Erykah Badu or Maci Gray. Solange is not our hair idol! Please do not compare us to any one. Is that supposed to be a compliment? Insinuating that we are not individuals, but instead clones of (insert random Neo Soul artist). Please, our hair just grows like this.
Just had to get that out! Feel free to comment on the things that annoy you about natural hair.